Pages

1.13.2011

una.

First and foremost, happy new year! I know I'm a little late with that but better late than never right? I usually skip the whole resolution thing, but this year my resolution is to get this blog started! If I had started it last year or the year before it probably would just be another vintage style blog. I am horrible at outfit posts, but I tend to eek out around 6-10 a year and share them on one of the other social media outlets I take part in. Because I am officially getting started in 2011, this will no doubt be half vintage shoes/etsy/personal style and half a new mama's brag blog. My daughter Saffron Una was born on December 6, 2010 and I know that there is no way I'll be able to keep my thoughts, and photos of the babe off of here. There are a few other great mama blogs out there that can be appreciated for keeping it interesting for everyone (Cup of Joe & Bleubird Vintage off the top of my head), not just new or veteran moms and I hope to be able to keep that balance here too.

Which brings me to the topic of my first post. (named Una, my girl's middle name. Literally: the first.) Roles. I have played and filled many rolls up to this point in my life, but new mom is definitely the biggest change! Let's flash back a bit to get a feel for the past 5 years or so evolution of my life. (It will be quick, I promise!)

Here is my husband Phill and I on our first date,


Aren't we cute? Phill is 25 here and I am 22 about to turn 23. This upcoming Easter is our 5 year anniversary. I am so glad that in the tangle of white russians and awkward "I like you" small talk I thought to set my little camera down on the bar in Brooklyn that night and snap this photo. Phill had just played a show with his band Knife Crazy and we were shying hanging out and non stop talking into the late night. Moments later I would spill a sticky sweet drink all over my bare legs, we would laugh it off, order another, and eventually share our first kiss. I will have to admit I thought of myself as quite the "bad ass" when we met. I was a foul mouthed, whiskey drinking young lady. Of course we all know I was pink and squishy on the inside, but the years leading up to meeting this man had hardened me a bit and it took some time and a lot of trust to get me to mellow out and wear my heart on my sleeve.

Here we are now,


the rounded out little family of three. It's been a long time coming, and I can barely believe that the youngin's Phill and I were in that red lit photo turned into these responsible adults that balance "real life" (you know, the boring stuff, paying the bills etc.) with being as creative, supportive and loving as possible. No one has ever believed in me as much or as fully as he has and honestly I would not be the person I am today without him. After a few months of long distance dating I relocated to Buffalo, NY, we got married, I cooked in a diner for a few years, started the shoe business, got pregnant and now I am a stay at home mom/entrepreneur. (I told you this was the quick version!)

Now, back to roles.

Lisa Zain on Etsy. (my maiden name.)


Lisa the cellist. (18 years and counting - Phill and I have a project called Red Tag Rummage Sale.)


Lisa Freedenberg. (Wife of Phillip.)


and now... Lisa the mom to Saffron. 


Now I promise my next post will be 99% more about shoes, and less about myself but I thought that a proper introduction was neccessary, and that a little more depth and background about me was also good to throw in. I didn't always have a newborn to obsess about, and I haven't even always had a vintage shoe shop (2 and a half year running!) to be proud of, but that is the place that I am happily in right now, and that I have worked really hard to get to.

Some quick goals for the blog:

shop updates
Buffalo events music/fashion/art related
family updates (with lots of cute husbands, cats & babies)
outfit photos. yes! outfit photos! from me! queen of photobooth. real ones! no! i swear!
travel photos
& of course just my thoughts and findings.

Pressing "publish" is a big step for me I wanted this to be perfect, but I realize getting it out there is more important than never starting. Here goes!

&& thank you so much for reading & do follow if you please!

12 comments:

anabela / fieldguided said...

I love this post! I'm so happy you're blogging -- can't wait to see you spreading more of your good vibes around the internet.

Love that you have documentation of your first date! So lucky!

m.w. said...

this is so sweet!!! what an amazing evolution. I can only hope that in 6 years, when i am older, i'll have something as sweet(and awesomely badass) as this to share.

-marjie

Cindy said...

I think I just died and went to shoe heaven! You are definitely a girl after my own heart. Lovely post. Lovely shop. And of course, lovely family. :)

Annie, The Friendly Fox said...

Wahooo!!! I'm glad you got this going. You know, because I need another platform from which to stalk you! :)
xoxo

Anja Verdugo said...

LISA THE BLOGGERRRRR. You are amazing. Seeing the photo of you & Phill on that first date makes me remember how much you guys paralleled me & dalas when we first started to get to know each other in lj land!

archives vintage said...

after chatting a little bit on twitter for the past few months, its awesome to get to know you better! can't wait to see more!!!!

xoxoxo

amanda said...

i couldn't be more in love with you than i am right now!!!! so glad you got this going. you will love it. somedays it will be horrible to keep up, but then other days your readers are going to encourage you when you need it and tell you exactly what you needed to hear. crazy i know! but anyway, i loved this first post! your family looks so fun and the wall of shoes is totally enviable :)

Tina said...

i am so very, very ridiculously happy to read this. i remember when you first told me about phil! and how you were going to buffalo to visit him and didn't think you'd be coming back. obviously, you knew where your heart was taking you. i think i've finally learned to follow mine.

all of the love in the world from my little massachusetts family to your buffalo one. your balance is an inspiration <3

Sadie Rose said...

YAYYyy!! Good lawd girlfriend you are so cute. i love the wedding photo. and your cute fam. i so excited you will be blogging now!!

Wildfell Hall Vintage said...

lovin' it so far, really enjoy reading about all these interesting lives and 'getting to know' ladies and gents in this mad vintage community. p..s your baby is delightful and downright gorgeous!

Emeraldflare said...

great post! great shoes :o)

Jessica / Lola Vintage said...

Yay!!! so happy you have joined the little blogspot community! I do love your tumblr, but can't wait to read more of your words and see more of those cute BABY PICS on here! <3